Get up to Five
What you Need
We are getting close to the beginning of our training together. Here is a quick list of the key things that you will need to bring with you to the sessions:
Your shoes are the runner’s tool of trade. If it's been a while since you have changed your training shoes here are a couple of checks you can do to see if they will still be ok:
- Twist your shoes from top to bottom, they should feel firm. If they twist easily they may not have enough support.
- If your soles are worn down it's a good sign that they need replacing.
- If it's been years since you have bought a pair of training shoes, not is a good time to invest in a new pair.
- If you are going to get a new pair go to Shoe Clinic to get a foot analysis done, they will then make sure you get a pair that suits your unique foot shape. Spend a few days wearing you new shoes in by wearing them around the house or any time you are going to be on your feet.
- If you feel you need to see a podiatrist we recommend the team at Feet n Motion.
We can’t stress enough how important important this is!
While we hope the weather gods deliver beautiful sunny days for every session we have to be prepared for all different types of weather. Here is a list of the training gear you will need:
- A towel or mat for the body weight circuit exercises, some of which are done on the ground.
- While it's ok to train in normal clothes, having some clothes that are designed for sports training will help to keep you warm and comfortable when you are running. These don't have to be expensive, just look for sports fabric and warm layers.
- We will be training in all types of weather so a good wind breaker/training jacket will come in handy.
- Beanie and gloves, sun visor - be prepared for any weather!
- *Head lamp for the dark mornings and evenings*
- It's a good idea to have warm clothes in the car for straight after training.
There are just a couple more things that you will need for training success:
- Because we'll be doing a combination of timed walking and running you will need to have a watch. This can be a cheap one, all you need is the stopwatch function on it.
- Always bring a full water bottle to every session.
- Every Saturday we go for coffee so make sure you bring some money so you can tell your stories over a nice hot cup of coffee.
That's pretty much all you'll need over the next couple months. If you do have any questions about this feel free to get in touch!
It's not long now and you'll be taking the first step towards running 5k, bring it on!