Epic - Week 6
WEEK 6 Newsletter
10km hill race
Your Week 6 Saturday session is a 10km hill race and it will challenge you. It is a 3 lap course with some steep parts in it.
Be strategic on each lap, and think technique when the going gets tough.
You are half way through Epic. By now you will be feeling stronger - remember how far you have come since that first session.
You are doing so well - keep it up, every single session is taking you once step closer to Epic race day.
This Week's Sessions
Monday 30 July, 6:10am
Meeting by the helicopter pad in Hagley Park (by the netball courts).
Wednesday 1 August, 6:00am* (note early start time)
Meeting Zeroes Cafe on Cashmere Rd.
Hill Repeats with sprint section
Saturday 4 August, 7:30am
Meeting Point: McMillan Reserve, Dyers Pass Road
Course Map: Click here
This is a 3 lap course. Each lap is 3.33km.
1. Start at McMillan Reserve and run up pathway to Dyers Pass Road. Turn right. Follow Dyers Pass Road to The Cup Cafe (not stopping for coffee..).
2. At The Cup Cafe, turn right down Hackthorne Road. At the bottom of the hill turn right. Follow Cashmere Road.
3. Take care crossing over Valley Road. Continue along until Purau Terrace. Turn right up Purau Terrace.
4. At the end of Purau Terrace there is a pathway that leads through a woodland reserve. Run up and through this Reserve coming out onto Overdale Drive. Turn left.
5. Follow Overdale Drive up to Dyers Road and turn right.
6. Run up Dyers Road to McMillan Reserve. Repeat x 3 laps
This video gives a good visual example of good uphill and downhill running technique. It's good for you to see what good technique looks like as it is hard to see yourself!
This is a cool clip of some guys running up Glenfinnan in Scotland. It's a pretty hill!
For the Saturday 10km hill race, you may want to wear a headlamp as the first part of the run will be dark.
You may find that your body is getting tired at this stage in the programme. Remember that you need to be good with stretching, ice baths and you may even want to get a massage. This will help to keep your body strong over the last few weeks of the programme.
'Keep the chart on the fridge. Tick off each day as you achieve. Be proud to tell people.' - Pauline Sullivan